[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: Framed !

> I have been alerted that somebody is taking credit for our web-pages by framing
> them inside their own pages without asking or giving us credit. Any ideas to
> prevent this?

Well I do agree that this can be a problem, it's a fact of life in the Internet that
people are going to assemble information and organize these bits of info into their
own centralized homepage.

Think spread of knowledge here.

However nobody likes to see their hard work going to waste because some other chumps
are taking credit for it.

So my question is:

Are they in fact giving themselves credit for the pages. e.g. Writing by Joe Hacker,
etc? Or are they just filtering out your information and sticking them into their
frames?

If it is the latter, then the problem is not as severe. Just because the credit has
been omitted doesn't mean that they are taking credit for it. One may assume so
(faulty reasoning), but it may not be the case.

The other question is:

Are they changing the contents of documents linked to the page? i.e. A postscript
file of a research document. That's more severe too.

If they've just taken a homepage full of links and miscellaneous information, I
really think you should relax. Who cares? That's about as silly as putting copyright
dates on homepages... i.e. Nobody cares.

I may be wrong, but I believe this situation is more about ownership rights than
security. Sure they are inter-related, but probably not in this case.

MPS